Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday 31 August 2007

No man is an island...


Well, it was going to happen sooner or later - I'm finally going back to the island! I really can't wait - I'm getting so homesick right now, and I'm missing everyone out there so much! There's a huge part of me that's so relieved that I have a date to go back home - I arrive back in Ibiza at midnight on the 18th of August. I just want to run round and use exclamation marks at the end of every sentence! Nothing is getting in my way of that small pleasure! Nothing!

Of course, I've just had the normal run-down from my Dad about the whole thing - until now he was forcing me out of the house into a cardboard box on the streets of Leeds. Suddenly he's all "What's wrong with living here?" and "Are you sure you're going to be ok in Ibiza??" - errm. I think I've lived out there long enough already to be able to be ok, thanks Dad. Everybody seems to be acting really surprised about the whole thing, like they expected that I'd got Ibiza out of my system already, and now I'd settle down, get a mortgage and have 24 kids or something. Sorry to disappoint you everyone, but I can't do that right now. England is doing nothing for my happiness right now, and I'm sorry to say, but Ibiza was my home (and will be for as far into the future as I can see right now), and has been since the day I got there.

I'm not entirely sure how things are going to work out on the island just yet - I know it's the off-season, but I've got enough web design work to be getting on with, so hopefully that will keep me going for a little while at least. I hope so anyway, because I've just bought myself a brand spanking new laptop. My old one is falling to pieces, and I really want to be able to mess around on Ableton again, and be able to have more than 2 plugins going at the same time, it's kinda limiting me right now. That and the fact that my laptop's power supply feels like it's going to blow up at any moment, and I've normally got a pretty good feeling about these things.

I actually really like the island off-season. There's no tourists for a start, which means you can pretty much have the beach to yourself. Also, a lot of the locals don't work through the Winter, which means that everyone ends up at each other's houses watching House, and anything else English on the FX network.

Things I'm missing about the island:
  • All the usual suspects (in no particular order) - Jimmy, Krystle, Ben, Donald, Milena, Linda, Janey Pie, Tamara, Lucky, Andy, Havier, and all the rest of them.
  • Never knowing where you're going to be at 6am.
  • Hash
  • Sun rises
  • The beach
  • Staying in to keep cool, not to keep warm
  • Cheesy Spanish Telly
  • Shops that are just a front for selling drugs
  • Walking everywhere
  • Seeing everyone you know even if you just pop out to the shops for a croissant (a 2 minute walk generally ends up taking about half an hour)
  • Pacha (there's so much I miss about this place - the funky room, Subliminal Sessions, Vaugn, the anticipation of getting dropped off in the taxi outside, coming out and finding it's light outside, the walk home, the woman selling chupachups in the toilets...)
  • Bar Sin
I could go on and on and on, but I'm going back there in 2 weeks! Yayayayayayyyyyyy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment